Monday, April 12, 2010

A Trend I'll Never Get

I understand fashion is up for personal interpretation, so it's rare that I ever come out and say, "Whoa. Whoa. That should never be worn."  Even with the crazy haute couture stuff...in my opinion, those pieces are considered artwork and should be admired for their beauty and handiwork.  

I will never get the menswear trend that is hitting WOMEN's fashion.  I am a WO-MAN, with an emphasis on the WO.  There are a few things I take issue with:
1.  No man in my life has items like this in his closet.  Granted, if I wanted to execute the menswear trend based on the "male muses" in my life, I'd be wearing hooded sweatshirts, vintage t's, a lot of fleece, and running shoes.


Example 1 Wing-tipped Oxfords
Example 2 Boat Shoes
These should only be worn by a woman if she is manning a ship or some other type of aquatic vessel.  I get the preppy trend, but I can't get on board with these (pun intended).

Example 3 Pleated High-Waisted Khakis
This item is wrong for so many reasons.  Not until a few years ago was I successful in banishing all pleated pants from my husband's closet.  #1. They're not flattering.  #2.  1984 called and they want their pants back.  
2.  Women should dress in a way that is body-conscious and flattering.  I'm all for gender equality, but it should stop when it comes to clothing and accessories.  I've never been one to dress for male attention, but men don't want to look at a woman wearing baggy, pleated pants and boat shoes!  Unless they are of the ilk who keeps the September issue of Vogue on their coffee table, they won't get that you're trying to be on trend.  They'll just think you raided your father's closet c. 1982.  Not cute.  

3.  I get that not all women love pleats and ruffles, but there's a way to dress that is chic and minimalist without looking like you are a dude.  Here are some of my picks from my favorite line Theory.  Theory does a great job of making amazingly flattering clothes that are appropriate for even the most conservative office setting.  Their pants are pricey ($250+), but I assure you, they're worth the investment.  I've had mine for 5+ years and I will cry on the day I retire them.  

Her shirt is fitted in all the right places and the pants are loose enough to be comfy but cut in such a way that makes her legs look like they go on for miles (okay, that might have something to do with her being a model).
This blazer is double-breasted (a nod to the menswear trend), but made feminine with a wide belt and a girly blouse underneath.  
Lastly, if you are compelled to take part of the menswear trend, I suggest offsetting the dude factor with sweet ballet flats like these:


2 comments:

  1. "Women should dress in a way that is body-conscious and flattering."

    Would the hubs/j-man believe we dress in a manner you indict women should?

    probably not.

    xoxo. one pilgrim to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JEF - I'm conscious that I don't want pants to be so tight that they look painted on. I'm also conscious of the fact that I don't want the ladies to be hanging out. Let's go to Plymouth Rock...just for old times sake.

    ReplyDelete